Posted June 06, 2018
Recipe by: Chef Jason K. Morse, CEC | Ace Hardware Grill Expert | Owner, 5280 Culinary
Looking for some pulled pork in your life, but don’t have 8-10 hours? We found the best shortcut around, added some Tender Belly Pork, some Root Beer and put them all together for this amazing recipe. Talk about amazing flavors… this has them all, from pork to root beer to vanilla to smoke.
Yields: 6 Pulled Pork sandwiches
Prep time: 15-20 Minutes
Cook time: 2 hours smoke, 30 minutes sear, 1.5 hours finish
7 lbs Tender Belly Boston Butt
¼ cup Rub a Dub, 5280 Culinary
¼ cup Oink, 5280 Culinary
24 fl oz Root Beer or Sarsaparilla
½ Cup Happy Ending BBQ Sauce, 5280 Culinary
½ Cup High Altitude BBQ Sauce, 5280 Culinary
Season to taste with Oink/Rub a Dub Blend
Sauce to taste with Happy Ending / High Altitude BBQ Sauce Blend
- Mix together the Oink and Rub a Dub
- Mix together the Happy Ending and High Altitude BBQ Sauce
- This can be done on the Traeger, Weber or Big Green Egg
- Temps remain the same for Traeger or Big Green Egg
- Take the Tender Belly boneless Boston Butt pork out of the package and place onto the cutting board.
- Using the flap that was created when the pork was boned, cut along that flap to lay out the pork, forming a long rectangular strip of pork.
- Cut the pork into tenderloin sized pieces and place into a large disposable aluminum pan.
- Mix the Oink and Rub A Dub together.
- Season the pork with the Rub/Oink mix as heavy or light as desired.
- Be sure to season the pork on ALL SIDES.
- Cover the pork and let the rub work for 12-24 hours.
- Remove the pork from the pan and place into the smoker at 180-225.
- Smoke for 2.5 hours or as light/heavy as you prefer.
- Remove the pork from the smoker/grill and place inot a new/clean aluminum pan.
- Add the root beer or sarsaparilla and cover with foil.
- Place back on the smoker/grill at 350 degrees and cook until pork reaches 203-205 degrees.
- Remove from the smoker and rest for 15 minutes.
- Using insulated gloves and nitrile gloves or BBQ claws, shred the pork into small, medium and large pieces.
- Drain 3/4 of the liquid and add the BBQ sauces, mix well.
- Serve with buns, slaw and shaved pineapple for a great Luau Sandwich.
Ready to make this yourself? Shop Tender Belly Boston Butt here.
Bacon Every Month Club