The flavor and texture of Berkshire pork is what sets it apart from other breeds. It is best described as having a distinctive, rich, buttery taste with unparalleled juiciness, tenderness and depth of flavor. When you cut into Berkshire pork you see dark red, rich color with exquisite intramuscular marbling.
Here are a few more reasons why our product is preferred.
- We work in partnership with a co-op of 30 Iowa farmers (all small, family-owned farms) to supply us with the finest meats available.
- The methods used to procure the meats are environmentally responsible and fully traceable with strict codes of responsibility and humane animal husbandry in effect.
- The animals are naturally raised and humanely processed locally.
- The animals are fed a 100% vegetarian diet, with no rendered animal byproducts, no antibiotics and no hormones.
- Our product is the first cut at the plant every Thursday on all clean equipment to prevent cross contamination with other products.
- All products are hand-inspected. If it doesn’t meet our high standards, it doesn’t make the cut.
- Our whole hogs can be fed specialty diets for their last 100 days to subtly affect the flavor of the pork. Diets include: Apples, pecans, barley, walnuts, peaches and acorns.
What are all those cuts?