Here's a tasty twist on a classic dish. Tender Belly's culinary team brings you mac n cheese with a classic Tender Belly addition, you guessed it, bacon!
- 4 slices of Tender Belly Signature Bacon
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 5 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (sharp)
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chives (minced)
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
PREP TIME: 6 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook for 9 minutes, until al dente. Drain.
- Place bacon in skillet over medium heat. Cook, 6-8 minutes. Remove to plate to rest.
- Melt the butter in skillet (same skillet as bacon, with bacon grease) over medium high heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly to make a “roux.”
- Add milk and continue to whisk vigorously, and cook until the mixture is nice and smooth. Stir in cheese and continue to cook and stir to melt the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked macaroni and chives and fold together.
- In serving bowls, top mac n cheese with bacon and breadcrumbs.