Posted December 12, 2018
We believe bacon is the perfect addition to any traditional dish…especially veggies. Make bacon part of your tradition with a twist on the classic green bean casserole.
- 1 pound Tender Belly No Sugar Bacon (chopped)
- 3 pounds green beans (trimmed)
- 1 pound Cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon rosemary (minced)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 35 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In large skillet cook beans in boiling lightly salted water for 3 minutes, drain. Transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain again, set aside.
- In the same skillet cook bacon to your liking of doneness. Remove onto plate to rest. Reserve about 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings in skillet; discard the remaining drippings.
- Cook Cremini mushrooms in the reserved drippings over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic. Cook and stir for 1 additional minute. Remove from heat. Stir in green beans.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in half-and-half. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in half of bacon, herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Stir the sauce into the bean mixture. Spoon into a 2-quart square baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Top with remaining bacon. Bake for 5 additional minutes.